What's happening in your week (24th August)

Aug. 24, 2015

So folks, what have you got planned for this week anything interesting?

Do you have a cool project you are working on, or something that is going to be bugging you all week?
Share your goals for the week, and if you shared last week, how did you get on?

Tim Nash

Last week was a bit topsy turvy, but this week is super focused ready to launch my REST API course next week. Though before that there is a lot of work to do.

oh and relaunching my site is happening yay!

Super Awesome, I was thinking to work on something similar. Tim, let's have a chat some time soon.

Kyle Maurer

I'm looking to wrap up the biggest client project my company's ever done, move closer to closing an even bigger one, update some plugins I've been neglecting, work on my next WordCamp presentations and submit a couple more speaker applications for WordCamp US. So yeah. Pretty slow week.

Tim Nash

ooo you reminded me to do speaker application for WordCamp Manchester :P

Tom Harrigan

Awesome, sounds like an exciting week Kyle :)

Still working on that premium WP theme. Aside from that, I am in a concept phase of a new project related to WP REST API.

Tom Harrigan

Finishing out a couple of client projects, further implementing GTD in my workflow, getting the ball rolling for organizing the Contributor Day for WordCamp New York City, and starting on the Core Fields API. Hopefully creating a vid on my youtube channel and corresponding blog post, but my track record hasn't been great on consistency with those :)

Tim Nash

Curious what sort of things are you bringing from GTD into your workflow?

Ryan Love

Beat me to it! I love a good workflow discussion. I'm always questioning how productive I am and thinking I could do with a few better systems in place to manage my day/tasks, so would love to hear from others how they do things.

Tom Harrigan

Last week I was starting to feel crushed with the volume of items on my to-do list, so my first step was breaking everything down into its smallest actionable item. Until then, the things on my to-do list were really much larger items requiring multiple steps that hadn't been thought through properly to that point. Just doing that made life a lot easier as any time I glanced down at my list, I had a clear next step in front of me to start on and complete.

Aside from that, doing a brain dump of everything floating around in my head but that wasn't clearly laid out helped a bunch in letting me focus.

This week I'd like to start breaking things out into contexts more: tasks that can be done during the commute on the subway without internet, morning items, tasks that can be done when my energy is waning, etc.

I'm on track to be up to date with my most pressing work by midweek, so next will be starting to set timelines for longer term and recurring goals: writing blog posts, recording video, preparing speaker decks, working on Core, etc.

Ryan Love

Thanks for that Tom, like the idea of next smallest actionable item, I could really do with breaking a few of my projects down, I mean I got stuck for 30 minutes this morning just trying to decide what I should do next. (Which then led to me be annoyed as hell for wasting 30 minutes!!)

Also like the idea of breaking tasks out to fit what you feel your energy levels are going to be during the day. I know during 1-3 it's like pulling teeth to get my brain to focus, probably makes a good time to schedule calls/go through email.

Going to put some of this into action now! But first a brain dump...