I am Ryan Sullivan of WP Site Care, Ask Me Anything!

Sep. 16, 2015

Hey there, for those of you who don't know me, I run WP Site Care, a WordPress Support & Maintenance company. I have the best team in the world, and I'm setting aside some time today to chat with all of you. I'm going to reply to EVERY SINGLE QUESTION with a video answer, so let's have some fun shall we?

Here's a quick welcome video: youtu.be/du10H_4wnco

If you want to follow along on Twitter, you can find me @ryandonsullivan

Talk soon!

Tom Zsomborgi

Hi Ryan welcome to the AMA!
What are the most common support requests clients submit? A theme or plugin broke the site, incompatibility issues with plugins, slow load time, issues related to WordPress core updates?

Hi Tom, here you go! :) youtu.be/w6K4T-MZlaE

Tom Zsomborgi

Thanks for the answer Ryan. Yeah there are so many plugins out there and there is no way each of them will 100% compatible with the other x thousand. But I'm sure your skilled team members can fix these kind of issues relative quickly even if you get many plugin related support requests on a daily basis.
Ohh and thanks for the extra thumbs up :-)

Haha my pleasure :)

Clifton Griffin

I'm currently working on an ambitious new business idea, that like WP Site Care is not conventionally a product or a service business. I find myself having moments of panic where I think, "What am I doing? This is never going to work"

Did you have doubts building your business, and do you have any tips for entrepreneurs who face some of the same challenges?

Hi Clif, here it is :) youtu.be/vSPbQLiEYCY

JazzFan Junkie

Would you rather fight one horse-sized duck, or a hundred duck-sized horses?

youtu.be/at6bJgAPM0Q

Emily White

You seem to have pulled together an awesome team of people. Any tips for finding good people and nurturing a great team? Also, as a Utahn, fry sauce or ketchup?

Ryan Sullivan

That fry sauce question could cause a civil war around here. Thank you for your question about our team :) youtu.be/X94c-Tq4XFg

JazzFan Junkie

Fry Sauce, but I can't hate on Ketchup though :)

Alex

Your Twitter profile cover has always intrigued me: "The Future of WordPress is independent from its history". I'm curious to hear what exactly that quote means to you and its implications for anyone selling their own WP product or service.

Ryan Sullivan

Love the question Alex. And I love that quote. It's from Nathan Hangen's (@nhangen) slide deck at WordCamp Tampa 2014. Here's my reply youtu.be/QzrPBtKcurM

Jennifer Bourn

Can you give us an update about what is going on with FlagshipWP and what we can look forward to in the future? Also, with WP Site Care and FlagshipWP, how do you find time to work on both?

Ryan Sullivan

You did not disappoint with your question ;) Breaking news right here: youtu.be/ft-ytwQt-k4

Jennifer Bourn

Thanks for the update Ryan! As tough as that may have been to build it up and then decide to shift things, it does confirm some of my thoughts about juggling multiple ventures. I'm excited you'll be releasing new things to the repository and to see what's coming up for WP Site Care ... we're fans!

Ryan Sullivan

Thanks Jen. Pulling the plug suuuuuucked. But it was the right move. We poured some out for our fallen venture on the 1 year anniversary ;)

OH! Sad to hear that. I really like Exposure Theme.

Ryan Sullivan

It'll be free very soon :) (And way better too)

Lucas Karpiuk

Hey Ryan,

You're in a space that is seeing a lot of growth recently. Who else in this space would you consider your direct competition? What is it that differentiates WPSC from the rest of the players in the space? Are there any specific aspects of WPSC that you can directly attribute to the pressure of competition in this space?

Thanks!

Ryan Sullivan

Hey Luke, Hope all is going well over at GoWP. Thanks for stopping by :) youtu.be/DDoyv6EeX_g

Lucas Karpiuk

Things are going quite well. Thanks for the detailed response!

Hey, Ryan! Nice to have you here today. Here are few questions

1— You've built an awesome team. Tips for hiring an awesome WordPress team? Where to hire from (job posting etc)? How much should a startup founder pay(to put things in perspective) for the first support guy and first dev that he hires?

2— How much time you spend running WPSiteCare? I mean how many hours a week? Do you take holidays (weird question, right! I mean do you have a routine or whenever you feel like taking a break)?

3— Do you believe in what they call Work-Life balance? If so, what do you do about it?

4— One or two things that you'd have done differently, or would advise a new startup in ref to WP market

5— How's the recovery from 'Bad-SEO-campaign' coming up?

6— Which platform do you use to providing support and why?

Hi Ahmad! Thanks so much for participating :) Here you go: youtu.be/vp_t0Vdc2xs

Thanks for covering all the questions. It's good to know that you guys have recovered from the neg-SEO stuff. Being a WordPress startup, I am struggling with hiring support people and choosing a better platform for support. So, your answers helped a lot.

Ryan Sullivan

Awesome. Glad to hear it :)

alex vasquez

Hey Ryan,
I was originally going to submit a two part question, but then Ahmad went and outdid me by posting a 6 parter! Well, I hate that guy now. But have a look below

Here we go:

1. What are your thoughts on running your own business as opposed to incorporating a business partner? This is something I chew on quite a bit as I mull over bringing someone on or not, as a partner. Why have you chosen to keep WP Site Care all to yourself?

2. What do you think of my drawing of you? dl.pushbulletusercontent.com/BAgnXA9mweBzVzi2fCzWtwhOgQaNPXoU/IMG_20150916_091645.jpg

3. Tell us about a low point, or the lowest-point, in running your business and what was it like? How did you feel? How did you recover?

P.S. When you're done looking at my drawing, can you please tweet it back to me so that I have it? Thank you.

Ryan Sullivan

Here you go, buddy. When do we get to hang out next? youtu.be/XZCKnapZuGs

Mason James

Just chiming in to say that when I saw the pricing change my heart leapt with joy. Not only is this the RIGHT move for your company, it's reflective of the actual sustainability needs in the entire niche. I celebrate with you in the courage to do it and believe it'll be a huge benefit to you and, ultimately, your customers.

I should have an actual question though... so, how do you determine (as a business) whether a client is a 'good fit'? Are there any helpful metrics you use to determine the health of the ongoing client relationship? Asking for a friend... ;)

Thanks!

Hey Mason, love the question. Hope the answer helps :) youtu.be/Tats3ZBWr9w

Mason James

Thanks Ryan! Keep on man :)

Hey Ryan :)

1) What type of service/action delights your customers the most/produces the WOW effect most often?
2) What is in your opinion the biggest threat to WordPress continuing to grow its marketshare?
3) What is biggest lesson you've learned while working in the WP managament industry?
4) The thing you are excited for in 2016?
5) What would you change on managewp.org?

Cheers
Vlad

And who would you like to see in a future AMA? :)

Here's the answer to part 2 :) youtu.be/O61sGrDR18Q

Hi Vladimir. Great questions! Here are my answers youtu.be/yj3Zrnowv1o

Thanks great answers. Like how are you going through all this, it is much harder to answer via videos !

Diane Kinney

Why the cruller? I recall it having the least flavor of all bakery choices.

Kind of a silly question Diane ;) youtu.be/vLoTiDrr_z0

Jeff J Fredericks

Hey Ryan,

A friend and I are trying to set up some sort of messaging service in wordpress. Basically I send you an image and a message, you receive it, and then you can reply to it. Any ideas on how we can achieve this?

Jeff Fredericks

Ryan Sullivan

Hey Jeff, I'm probably not the best person to ask this question, but I have a rough idea of how you might go about that :) Here's an idea: youtu.be/oYfQQulj8ws Thanks for stopping by!

Jeff J Fredericks

No problem. Thanks for doing this.

Matt Medeiros

Hot dogs or Hamburgers?

#merica youtu.be/Epxr1bkPC14

JazzFan Junkie

The hamdogger

Give us a pic of your work desk! (that embed works :)

Ryan Sullivan

Posting once more so that it's not quite so huge :) i.imgur.com/RkYqdlW.jpg

Davinder Singh

Sad to see FlagshipWP go but theme business requires lot of focus. Good to see you finding path that works better for you.

Ryan Sullivan

Me too, David. Thank you for the kind words! We're not done making noise with themes yet :)

Davinder Singh

WP site care is already making "right" kind of noise. Best of luck!

Brody Vercher

I dig the answers and the all-in approach with the videos. I'm also adopting the "seasons of life" business philosophy.

And my question: Where do you get your shirts printed?

Here you go, my friend youtu.be/cgy2u5-wa_o

Joshua Strebel

A form of this question was asked in the AWP facebook group the other day: Where do maintenance services like WPSiteCare fit in the ecosystem compared to agencies and hosting co's. I gave an answer here from a HOST POV www.facebook.com/groups/advancedwp/1017369791658568/?comment_id=1017762231619324 and would like hear yours.

Love the question. Thanks for bringing the heat :) youtu.be/biD4qGH-5fg

James O'Connor

Can I be selfish and ask you to help me with my wordpress problem?

wordpress.org/support/topic/not-able-to-access-site-or-admin-area?replies=1

I realise I'm a d*ck for this, but I'm a d*ck who has messed up his club's website and I'm trying to fix it.

Hey James,

Send as many details as possible to hello@wpsitecare.com and I'll have my team sort it out for you. One of the first questions will be whether or not you have backups we can restore so go prepared with that info :)

James O'Connor

Hi Ryan

Thanks for your reply, I really appreciate it. It seems that I have to delete the htaccess file, something I don't have access to. I will get the guys the club pay to maintain it do delete these and fix my balls up.

Thanks again, and best of luck with everything
James

Nathan Tyler

Hey Ryan, if WordPress were gone tomorrow, what would you work on next?

You would wait until the last minute ;) youtu.be/cx6W30PLzlY

Ryan Sullivan

OK everyone. That does it for me! Thanks to the ManageWP folks for the opportunity, and thanks to all of you for your awesome questions! Really appreciate all of you.