I'm Cory Miller, Founder of iThemes.com, ask me anything!

Dec. 2, 2015

I love talking about entrepreneurship, leadership, marketing, career advice and of course my beautiful amazing kiddos (Caloway and Lillian). :)

I'm a former newspaper journalist turned web entrepreneur. Started iThemes in 2008 and now we have 25 people, thousands of customers and are focused on making people's lives awesome.

What else do you want to know? :)

Ross Johnson

Hi Cory,

I see lots of plugin companies struggling to scale. Things are easy when your just a founder or two, but at some point there becomes more work than two can handle. When it's time to hire your first employee there are a lot of details to sort through...

What position should we hire? How do we hire the right person? Dealing with taxes, legal, etc...

Any advice on this front?

Ross, great questions!

I will just share from my experience and unique situation and leave to you to pull the truths out for yourself and particular situation. Fingers crossed, here goes:

When I started iThemes in 2008, I knew I wanted to hire people and build a team ... mainly because I didn't want to do everything myself and frankly I wasn't talented enough to do it. Although for the first 6 months or so I was the only full-time team member and did or managed most everything by myself (with the help of one contractor).

In the early years, the answer to the question "What position should I hire?" was very simple. I identified the areas in the business I hated and/or was very bad at. That came pretty easy for me because I was very motivated to find people that enjoyed and were great at the things I sucked at and/or was miserable doing.

So I looked at all the categories of work that needed to be done -- everything from site maintenance, marketing, taxes, legal, support, development, project management -- and assigned a name to them ... and in the beginning my name was on most of them. And then based on my own personal pain or failure at doing some of them ... rapidly found new names to put on those tasks.

In later years, hiring was more ... what firepower do we need to roll out new products and features .... as well as scaling questions like, "Who needs more help?"

By the way, I've written extensively about How to Hire Your First Employee (Team Member) here:

corymiller.com/hiring-your-first-employee-step-by-step-guide/

Re: hiring the "right" person ... that's something I have been trying to hone in and refine on for the last 7+ years now and will always be learning more about. Admittedly it's the most frustrating, painful part of the hiring process because if you don't find or get the "right" person doing the "right" job, it's a costly, often painful misfire. And that's ALWAYS the hardest part of the job -- telling someone they are no longer part of the iThemes team.

Here are some notes / thoughts on finding the "right" people for your team (giving the caveat that we've failed and broken these many times over):

* Would I invite them into my home or to be around my children? -- This is about Trust. It's non-negotiable. I invite our team into my home, and when our children were born, many of them came to the hospital and held them on their first day in this world. If I don't trust someone on our team to be in my home, or around my family, they don't belong on our team ... or in my life. I know we all pay lipservice to this, but it needs to be said again -- trust is a foundational, immutable law. Break it and we've got serious problems.

* Do I enjoy being around them? This is about Fit-in-Ability. The essence of this is, they need to fit in our existing team and with me. Our culture has been defined by having a small group of diverse and passionate people who are supremely committed to each other, the mission and the customer. The acid test for Fit-in-Ability for me has been asking myself: Would I want to spend my precious time with them at dinner with them? And then, would the members of our team want to do dinner with them as well? Sure, we're not always going to like each other. Conflicts happens. But at the end of the day, are we compatible? I cannot underestimate the importance of this. In my experience, building a team of supremely committed people means they sync and like each other, despite their differences. Which is why each month we try to do a nighttime hangout at one of our team's houses in Oklahoma City where our office is located. We invite team members and spouses/significant others to come and eat and drink and be merry. I'm always thankful for the voluntary participation of our hangouts because it tells me that we do in fact LIKE each other enough to spend our "free" time together. And that tells me that when the crap hits the fan ... we'll pull together FOR each other through the bad times. (By the way, for our remote team we try to get "Elbow Time" 3-4 times a year with them and I also seek to travel with at least one team member whenever possible to WordCamps etc.)

* Do we share the same values and vision? This is very hard to determine at first because people are getting better at interviews and at saying what they think you want to hear. But if someone doesn't share the same values as our team, it becomes apparent very soon. That's why we tell stories a lot here. Examples of experiences that demonstrate what we value most. Additionally, do they embrace the vision of the company and where we are headed? In the past we had some team members who did not embrace the vision but wanted to steer it in their own direction. That'll never work. Part of boarding the ship here at iThemes means embracing the vision that I (and we) have for it. If you don't, you belong on another ship, and maybe one of your own.

* And finally, it comes down to: Can they do the job? Skills are vital. You have to be able to do the job we assign you at iThemes. But it is the last priority question that we typically ask.

Whew. Hope that helps.

Ross Johnson

Huge help, thanks for the wealth of knowledge!

JazzFan Junkie

Hi Cory! Which would you rather fight: one horse-sized duck, or 100 duck-sized horses?

Cory Miller

I'm a lover, not a fighter.

Brad Williams

Answer the question!

Cory Miller

The only real fight I got into in my life was in 8th grade and I lost ... badly.

But to the original question: Why would these weird ducks or horses be mad at me? Did I hurt their feelings or steal their food? More so, do horse-sized ducks and duck-size horses exist? If so, WOW, WOW, WOW.

Additionally, I've only had experiences with gentle and peace-loving horses and ducks. None ever this angry to want to FIGHT me.

JazzFan Junkie

That's not how this question works :(

LOL! Perfect answer!

Hey, Cory!

Thanks for doing this. I have a few questions.

1— What's next at iThemes, like next 2-5 years?
2— When hiring a remote resource, what qualities do you look at? You need to add a senior dev to your team, how'd you go about it?
3— Do you have any plans to venture towards SaaS and REST API?
4— How do you deal with frustration? Life gets in the way, how do you keep up?

Looking forward!

Cory Miller

Great questions, Ahmad. Thanks for allowing me to answer them thoughtfully.

1 -- I want to continue to build great products for our community and on WordPress that make people's lives easier and better. That hasn't changed in 7+ years now and won't in the near future.

But we're focused on 3 key products currently: BackupBuddy (new game-changing feature coming out early 2016); iThemes Security (new dashboard, and more coming out in early 2016) and iThemes Sync (more awesome stuff coming soon but this is a central strategy for us and solution for our community that ties everything together).

Beyond that, I'm keen to help our community live their dreams .... one thing we started this year to help our community live their dreams that I hope to expand in the next year and beyond is called WProsper. (ithemes.com/wprosper/) Our goal with WProsper is simple -- to help our community make money with WordPress and iThemes. Money is just one tool for enjoying greater freedom in your life and living their dreams. But I know if we can help our community take the next steps in starting and growing web businesses based on WordPress (and make more money doing it), that's part of the greater purpose I'm focused on personally at iThemes.

2a. -- The primary question I ask about remote team members is: Are they an adult? Whoops, I mean, are they a professional, fully capable and able of working remote? I choose the words capable and able carefully and specifically. Just because they are capable doesn't mean they are able and vice versa. Additionally, are they serious about their work, good healthy communication and being a fully functioning, committed team member at iThemes?

2b. -- Over the last 10 years or so I've been involved in the WordPress community, I'm always seeking to build great relationships with people. Many of them are developers that I have in the back of my mind, "Geez, if some day a position opens at iThemes, I would cherish the opportunity to work with them." So in the past, I've pulled from that list. But one way we find senior developers is first by asking our team if they know anyone good they'd enjoy working with. We found Glenn Ansley because I had a long-time friendship with him and he was the first person I reached out to for that position. Shortly after Glenn started with us, we needed another developer, so we asked the team ... and Glenn suggested talking to Lew Ayotte. They've both been amazing team members for us. And now we're currently talking to a third developer based on their recommendation. Team referrals are some of the best ways to find awesome people beyond personal relationships.

3. We have SaaS already with iThemes Sync and BackupBuddy Stash and are broadening that out even more with the next huge feature in BackupBuddy coming out in 2016. As far as the REST API we always seek to be on the cutting edge of new innovations in WP and elsewhere. The REST API is something I want to explore more deeply and have had numerous conversations with Aaron Campbell, one of our awesome devs and a WP core contributor, who has been advising me on the subject and its progress as well as other team members.

4. My business mentor has a great saying that helps me with this. He says, "Anger and frustration come from unmet expectations." If you let that soak in for a second, it can be very freeing.

Each time you're frustrated or angry you can ask yourself ... what are my unmet expectations about this situation? Are they reasonable or not? Is this something I can control and change within myself or is it an external person or situation that I cannot? If it's with someone else, have I properly communicated what I need or want with them? If so, am I seeking to change something about them?

And that leads me to one ongoing affirmation I have that has made all the difference for me:

Only seek to control what I can control.

I've found that what I can control is actually remarkably narrow in scope but also incredibly freeing. I can truly only control my actions, my reactions, my feelings, my thoughts and my attitudes.

In the past, I've wasted so much time wallowing in my unproductive anger and frustration mainly because I've tried to control someone or something that is completely out of my control.

Now, through this incredibly simple affirmation I seek to use the energy that anger and frustration produce more wisely. (But that does not mean I don't experience anger and frustration regularly -- I mean I have toddlers at home! haha)

By the way, I've written more extensively on this subject here: corymiller.com/6-ways-to-combat-anger-and-bitterness/

Also, the book The Obstacle is the Way by Ryan Holiday is one of the most amazing, life changing books I've ever read (so much so that I bought the audiobook version for when I'm driving) ... to me, it's not a book but become a mantra for life (especially when dealing with anger and frustration and how to better use it).

amzn.to/1LOvCgd

Hope this helps!

Thank you, Cory!
All these awesome answers, I am going to buy the book for sure. I already use iTheme's Security and Sync, looking forward to what you have in your shelf for the next year.

Cheers!

Cory Miller

BOOM! Thanks for your support, Ahmad!

Ryan Love

Hey Cory thanks so much for doing this!

My questions,

- What does a day in your life look like?

- What advice would you give to a new WordPress developer who's just getting started in their career? What would you recommend they put their main focus on?

- What's been the biggest challenge you faced in the last 6 months and how have you worked your way through it?

Ryan - great questions!

1. A day in my life looks like this ..... wake up when I can hear my toddler slam his door around 6:30 am. and scramble to make sure he doesn't wake up his younger sister. I usually cook "daddy breakfast" which consists of eggs, bacon, cheese, (sometimes avocado), tortillas, and of course coffee.

Around 8 am, shower and get dressed for the day. Kiss my babies, my wifey and leave around 8:15 to get into the office around 8:30 a.m.

9-noon -- reading (I'm a Learner so if I'm not reading/learning I'm dying), responding, dreaming, fielding an occasional call, moving forward. If on a Monday, around 11 a.m. I'm meeting with my COO, Matt Danner, to talk about what our team is doing that week.

Noon on a Monday -- eating lunch with our office team in Oklahoma City.

1-5:30 -- more reading, responding, building relationships, checking in on people, dreaming, rare firefighting, acting/moving forward.

5:45 -- eating dinner with my family ...

7 p.m. -- if Karma is on our side, giving a bath to our kids, then putting them to bed with the help of my amazing partner, Lindsey.

8 p.m. -- quiet time with Lindsey (ideally, with a glass of Portugese wine) -- either talking about the day, planning the next cool thing we're doing, or watching Netflix.

9 p.m. -- SLEEP!

2 -- Advice for Developers. I wrote a whole free ebook on the subject here: corymiller.com/essential-career-advice-for-developers-ebook-is-here/

But the main thing I'd say ... get involved in (or launch) an open source software project. It is the best way to learn and grow, while developing relationships that'll pay off in so many ways AND giving you something tangible to show prospective employers.

3 -- Honestly, being a father. My whole life I wanted to have kids and just KNEW (in a stupid arrogant and naive kind of way) that I'd be the BEST dad ever. Then we had my son, Caloway, my little mini-me, and now, our daughter, Lillian, my wife's mini-me, and I realize I absolutely DUMB I was.

Being a parent is the hardest thing I've ever done in my life. It easily is the biggest challenge I've had in the last 6 months.

It's even tougher when I have to take off my CEO Hat from work and put on my Daddy Hat when I get home as they are vastly different skillsets!

My almost-3-year-old son in particular has tested me in ways I never thought imaginable. He HAS tested me, my patience, my empathy, my love. So many times I feel like I'm barely managing a C- as a parent and often getting D's and F's.

It's been the most humbling stage of my life. I thought I had my act together .... but I realize in the reflection of being a parent, I have so many areas of improvement to go.

My children have taught me how to be a better man and human. And I'm working furiously to do so.

Thankfully, I have an amazing partner in my wife, Lindsey. She's a solid A+ parent so I figure the average together we'll likely have good kids and be on the honor roll. :)

But the older I get (I turn 40 next year) the more I realize my purpose and legacy in life is to do my best to teach, lead, guide, and give them all the tools, attitude and support necessary to be amazing human beings, to live life joylessly and purposefully, by sharing their time, talent and treasure with the world.

Ryan Love

Thanks so much for the detailed answers!

So 8 p.m is netflix and chill time in the Miller household...

Ross Johnson

Are there any businesses or business leaders outside of the WordPress space that you admire or try and learn from?

Cory Miller

Ross, gosh, this is a tough one, and I'll probably answer in an untraditional sense.

First, I have a group of 7 businessmen in Oklahoma City I've been meeting with once a month for the last four years through the Oklahoma chapter of Entrepreneurs' Organization. They have become some of my best friends in life. I recently took a leave of absence from the group to travel with my family and found I missed their presence in my life so much. I admire this group of men and learn from them every time I'm around them. They are my heroes. This month, I came back to the group and got more energized than ever. Through them, I'm leveling up in so many areas of my life, walking alongside people who know what it's like to be an entrepreneur-husband-father and I'm so thankful for them.

Second, I'd say my partners, Scott Day and Jay Chapman. They are "silent" in the sense that they are not involved in the day to day business (they have their own full-time non-WP businesses) and have never wanted to get any of the limelight they justly deserve for iThemes. But they are men I seek to learn and grow from and admire, mainly as leaders/entrepreneurs who are amazing parents, raising outstanding kids.

Third, my business mentor, Michael Smith. I'm so thankful for him in my life and business. He's made both so much better in the 4+ years I've known and worked with him. So many of the things he's taught me I think about each day. (http://imentorleaders.com)

Fourth, I would be remiss if I didn't mention my book addiction, and the value of books, and the authors who write them. In a lot of ways, this is access to business leaders I admire and want to learn from, but may not ever get access to. Additionally, I believe books are the best, perhaps most affordable way to learn and grow. Subject matter experts with vast experiences, communicating lessons in a distilled, easily digestable format. #BOOM

I created an Ultimate Reading List based on requests I've gotten over the years that others might be interested in ....

corymiller.com/my-reading-list/

Matt Pritchett

Do you fold or crinkle your toilet paper?

How does the move towards a JS framework layer in WordPress Core/Themes/Plugins/etc factor into iThemes future and your plans for future growth?

What's the best advice you've ever received?

What do you want to see come from (or have seen come from) sharing your very personal story off mental health? Do you have plans to continue to push this important sector in our industry?

Rebecca Gill

And does the roll go over or under. This is a show stopper for me, so answer it wisely.

Matt Pritchett

It's over, Rebecca Gill. www.today.com/home/toilet-paper-over-or-under-debate-resolved-1891-patent-t9776

Rebecca Gill

I know the answer is over and anyone who doesn't is just crazy.

Cory Miller

OK, then I'm going to bust your bubble probably!

FOLD.

But as far as putting new toilet paper on the hook ... I typically just put it in a place I can easily access it in the future. If a place has some kind of fancy thing, I set it gently on top. :)

Rebecca Gill

I'll take this to mean Lindsey replaces all toilet paper rolls in the house.

Matt Pritchett

I knew there was a reason I liked you. :)

Cory Miller

Matt - I love your two last, more serious questions. :)

What's the best advice you've ever received?

There is so much good advice I've gotten over the years ... so picking one piece is TOUGH.

* My father saying to me over and over and over: Always do and give your best.

But some other quotes or things I've read or heard that have made a remarkable difference for me:

* The lyrics to "Simple Man" by Lynyrd Skynyrd resonate in me deeply
* "This too shall pass."
* "The tragedy of life is what dies inside a man while he lives." --Albert Schweitzer

"What do you want to see come from (or have seen come from) sharing your very personal story of mental health? Do you have plans to continue to push this important sector in our industry?"

I want to see mental health talked about as much if not more as physical health and wellness.

I want to see the stigma of seeking mental health help completed wiped erased.

I want more people to feel empowered to seek mental health help from trained and caring professionals.

I want to see people live happier and healthier lives as a result of the looking after their mental health.

Re: the response to sharing my story ....

I've been absolutely blown away by the encouragement and support. But more so, every time I've shared, I get private emails or DM's saying thanks and then them sharing their own story with me.

So many people are suffering in silence. I gave one little voice to it at one WordCamp and it's multiplied. I hope others continue to speak out and to share their story as well.

As far as any plan to keep pushing it ... realizing this was one of the most impactful things I've ever done in my life and believing in it to the fullest, I won't ever stop talking about it openly and honestly and championing the good cause for the rest of my life.

People are hurting and suffering, alone and in silence.

Sharing my story and the message of mental health has made an impact and a difference. I'm all about living a life of purpose and this has given me an even bigger mission for my life.

So expect me to not shut up about it any time soon.

Matt Pritchett

Good words sir. Love the quotes. Love the Dad quote. Love your passion for mental health and for others. Keep on sir.

Hi Cory!

Don't expect easy questions :)

- How much was Sync influenced by ManageWP and what made you enter WordPress management market? :)

- Following the acquisition of Better WP Security plugin Chris Wiegman departed for 10up. I reckon he was the key person behind the project at that moment - how did that affect your plans with the security part of iThemes business? Do you think that SaaS approach of Sucuri is superior or inferior to the plugin approach?

- You are uniquely positioned in the WordPress market as you have multiple business models. How much revenue iThemes gathers from SaaS products (Sync/Stash) compared to the plugin/themes products (BB/Security/Exchange/Themes) - not looking for real numbers if you are uncomfortable sharing them, just for a comparison.

- How do you see iThemes three years from now?

- I love workdesk pictures, please share yours :)

Cory Miller

Vladimir, if this were easy, it wouldn't be any fun. :)I'll answer your questions in stages so you aren't waiting for all my comments .....

First question --- how much was iThemes Sync influenced by ManageWP? Great question!The simple answer is: In a BIG BIG way, just like any leader in any market.

You guys are the unquestioned leader in this product segment. We weren't the first to do this. You guys (along with I think WP Remote) were the first in this market ... and first to establish it as a product category. I remember seeing what you guys did and going, "Dang! Brilliant idea. Wish I'd had it." You started solving a problem people had but might not have realized they needed a solution for.

For us, iThemes Sync unifies and ties together our product suite (with key integrations with BackupBuddy and iThemes Security and more coming) as well as offering our own "management" solution to our key audience since 2008 -- freelancers -- to solve a problem they have that you guys helped identify.

We've not been first or even the leader oftentimes and frankly don't need to be ... but we have consistently sought to offer what we do best --- a great, ever-improving software solution for our community, backed and supported by an awesome team who cares.

Kudos, though, to what you've built at ManageWP and for leading the way! I hope we make each other better for our respective communities!

My hope too!

Cory Miller

"Following the acquisition of Better WP Security plugin Chris Wiegman departed for 10up. I reckon he was the key person behind the project at that moment - how did that affect your plans with the security part of iThemes business? Do you think that SaaS approach of Sucuri is superior or inferior to the plugin approach?"

First and foremost, I'm deeply thankful for the work of Chris Wiegman for building a great plugin in Better WP Security and for his time at iThemes.

Second, yes, Chris Wiegman was the lead developer of BWPS, now iThemes Security. After his departure in early 2015, we put the project in the very capable hands of Chris Jean, who has been at iThemes for 7 years now and set the standard for both our culture and development values at iThemes.

Earlier this year, we also named Aaron Campbell, a WordPress core contributor who co-lead version 3.6, as co-lead developer of the project with Chris.

Suffice to say, the project is in GREAT hands with those two awesome dudes. They've been working tirelessly to build and grow the project to help WordPress users secure their sites easily.

The future is bright for the project with a new Dashboard coming in early 2016 as well as other performance enhancements and new features.

So if anything, after CW left, it helped us to double down on the project and put two extremely talented, and passionate, developers in charge of its present and future.

Re: Sucuri and their work ... I have nothing but the utmost respect for Tony, Daniel and the fine team at Sucuri. They've been great friends to us, I've personally used their products (we do at iThemes.com as well) and we have their Malware Scanner integrated into iThemes Security.

The best way we've put it is ... we're offering a do-it-yourself toolkit to protect your WordPress sites ... Sucuri is the black-belt ninja pros who come in and do it for you.

Cory Miller

Re: revenue split between SaaS products and non-SaaS products, right now it's around 90% non-SaaS and 10% SaaS.

Oh, and here is a picture of my office at iThemes ....

www.instagram.com/p/-zXIwVqSaz/?taken-by=corymiller303

Great answers and all-round a great AMA! Really liked the hiring insights you shared.

Glenn Ansley

I heard that you used to be a really fast typer but that you haven't won a race on typeracer.com in a couple years. What do you think changed? Is it all the jewelry on your fingers? Would you accept challengers from the comment thread here?

Cory Miller

Glenn, as you know, I am the undisputed, reigning, fastest typer at iThemes. Bow, please.

But before we redo the typing test, maybe we should talk about using power tools. :)

twitter.com/glennansley/status/670683804844072960

And yes, a good champion always is willing to defend his title. :)

Glenn Ansley

Hahahahaha. Touché!

Rebecca Gill

Three questions:

#1 - What is one thing you really want to see happen in the future for iThemes? Company, staff, products, services, etc?

#2 - What is one thing you really want to see happen in the future for WordPress?

#3 - What part of your work life makes you most happy?

Cory Miller

Rebecca, thanks for this and your friendship this year. Getting to know you more has been one of the highlights of my year at iThemes and looking forward to more!

1 -- I want to keep doing what I'm doing for a long long long time. I love my job and the "work" I do. I love the people I work with. I love the people I work for (our community).

I want to get to the Matrix level of Purpose. I want to have a greater and greater positive impact in the lives of our customers and our team.

I want to set the example for how work should be. For how a team should be. I want to have work hard, and play hard, with our team so when we're older we can have many stories to share around the campfire. As we grow, I want to continue to find iThemes people and show them their home is here.

I want to keep building software that makes our customer's lives awesome, saving them time, money, effort, while making them money.

2 -- The events/activities around kids specifically started around WordCamps. We started at nonprofit in 2011 to help kids learn and embrace technology locally in Oklahoma City called TheDiv.org. But I believe focusing on the next generation is both a great legacy for WordPress and also its future.

3 -- Reading, writing, speaking, mentoring, coaching, leading.

Rebecca Gill

And here the answer to #2 for me would have been improving the WordPress admin UI. This is why are you clearly much more "endearing" than I am! I said it at CaboPress in 2014 and continue to see it with each interaction.

I am personally looking forward to the "matrix level of purpose" as this is truly where iThemes shines. iThemes isn't just one product but a collective of products and services that help people do better with WordPress.

BOOM and ditto!

Thanks for this!

Jeff

September 23rd, 2014, one of the toughest days for you and iThemes that you handled with grace ithemes.com/2014/09/23/important-security-update-for-all-customers/ can you tell us what's been done in the days since to make sure customer's passwords are secure?

Cory Miller

Jeff, thanks for your kind comments .... re: your question, do you mean what else beyond what we've detailed in the post you linked to?

Jeff

Yes. Has there been anything else beyond what's listed in the post that the company has done to secure passwords and customer credentials?

Cory Miller

Just like the update says ... plain text is gone plus SSL on the site. I'm not the security expert on our team, but I don't know what else we would do.

Internally we instituted password management for our team as well as two-factor on our emails, etc.

I'll ask Matt Danner when he's back for anything else.

Jeff

I'll ask a more lighthearted question. How has having kids changed your outlook on life and has it altered/impacted the way you run iThemes?

Cory Miller

Jeff, love these questions but will not dodge the others as well. :)

Re: my outlook on life with kiddos ...

The day I got married to Lindsey ... and the day each of my kids entered this world ... I turned over the title and deed of my life to them.

My life is not my own. It is theirs.

My kids are miracles, even though it's sometimes hard to see that when I've got poop on my hands.

But in all seriousness, there was a time in my life when I thought I'd never have children and that door had closed permanently. And then as I see my daughter walk for the first time, or my son let me be Mater and plays Cars with him (I can do a great Redneck accent), it's a magical, pinch yourself moment.

So it's easy to say, my life is theirs not mine.

They've settled me down in so many ways .... but primarily in my impulses and anger which have been greatly tempered because of them ... I simply know, if I do something stupid, it affects them in some way. That's something I haven't always had and am very grateful for.

In many ways, they've helped me become nicer, more empathetic and more patient ... while also less nice, empathetic and patient.

A simple example of this is if I get served the wrong food at a restaurant, typically I'll just eat it and not complain or send it back. But if you mess with my kids in any way, I'm going to kick your door down. You can run over me, but never over my kids.

Thus, I discovered a whole new part of me when my kids were born.

Finally, maybe it's cliche but I have a new appreciation for life and what I hold most precious. Both of our kids had medical issues in their first year of life (they are healthy and happy now!) .... but seeing my son get wheeled back to surgery, or my daughter hooked up to monitors gave me a new perspective on life.

All worth it as I tell them I waited 36+ years for them and I'd do it again ... poop and all.

Cory Miller

The primary way it has altered or impacted the way I run iThemes is more centered around my work and time and involvement ... for instance, I don't and simply can't work 60+ hours a week consistently anymore, or on weekends.

Nights and weekends are their time. And although things happen and sometimes I work weekends (like going to WordCamp US in Philly this week), I try to protect and preserve as much time as I can for my family, knowing I still have to and want to work.

I also try to limit travel as much as possible because of them. And I take more actual time off than I ever have.

Otherwise, not much has changed.

Jim Krenz

Hi Cory,

I am very happy with my investment in BackupBuddy Gold.

Is there any chance that there will be a Gold license for iThemes Security Pro?

Thanks!

Jim

Cory Miller

Jim, so glad to hear that!

Re: ITSEC Pro ... I'm not sure we will but don't count it out. The primary reason we might not offer it is we don't know what ongoing server costs we might have with new features we add to it. We don't have any currently, but I don't want to get boxed in in the future.

The main thing that lets us offer BUB Gold is we don't have ongoing and high fixed costs associated with it. Additionally, limiting support to one year allows us to do this currently.

Bharani

Hi Cory,

Do you think it is too late for someone to get into the Wordpress premium theme business? If not, what advice will you give to a new WP theme developer?

Thanks,