Automatically post articles from WP Tavern?

Mar. 3, 2016

I've long thought ManageWP (MWP) should automatically show articles from certain websites – the most notable of these is WP Tavern (but I'm sure there are others that would qualify). With the points system on ManageWP (MWP) sometimes it feels like users are racing to submit a new articles from one of these popular WP news sites. From a technical standpoint, automatically checking a site's RSS feed (assuming they have one) would be a good way to go. Thoughts?

Mark Gavalda

Good idea, though it will have to be very selective. WP Tavern is a good starting point :)

I would suggest thinking also about the opposite route and forbid submitting articles from WPTavern all together. Reasoning:

1) Everyone knows about Tavern, it is featured in the admin feed of every WP install. This means you would eventually find your way to the article whether it was shown here or not.

2) This site was originally conceived as a way to give voice to those lesser heard in the WordPress community. A move like that would give more strength to the rest of the community, the only question is whether this voice is strong enough (is there enough high quality content floating in every day).

Mark Gavalda

Please don't do that. I don't visit the Tavern every day and actually use ManageWP.org to discover articles that are interesting enough for the community to get posted here this way I don't miss out on important stuff. I guess there are a lot of others doing the same?

I encouraged to consider that line of thinking, not saying that we want to do that :)

Jake Jackson

That is a good point. Although MWP has become my go to spot for WP news - it is much more diverse and gives a great snapshot of the latest WP news (the Tavern included).

Dave Warfel

I agree with Vlad and Jake, and would also point out that the Tavern writes a decent amount of news articles that often have an original article that was already shared on MWP.

Tavern does a recap or re-introduction to it. Sometimes this might add value. Other times it doesn't.

Not all Tavern articles get submitted here, and I think we should continue letting the community decide which ones are worthy.

I don't think that would be a good idea. I won't find any value in auto shared news stuff. It's just my personal perspective, it matters a lot to me that who share the news before I click open it. Sharing posts automatically would essentially lead to death of MWP.org.
The organic sharing is so much better than automattic content curation.

M Asif Rahman Ⓦ

I also don't think autoshare is a good idea. @Vladimir already explained, all their article actually comes in every WordPress Dashboard twice (at least used to, 1)direct link and 2)via WordPress Planet News). And if I want auto, I already have Feedly!

Jake Jackson

Thanks for explaining the reasons why this doesn't happen. It's much appreciated.