404 to 301 Plugin Considered Harmful

wordfence.com | Aug. 16, 2016 | 4 min read

Sneaky, conniving, jerks! Don't use a plugin that does this kind of thing. Gah!

Joel James

I kindly request you to read this article - thefoxe.com/blog/404-to-301-plugin-detected-by-wordfence-here-is-what-actually-happened/

Props to you Joel for reacting so quickly and being frank about the whole thing.

Omaar Osmaan

Hey Joel, could you share how long been the plugin was affected of the issue?

Back in April, this year I'd noticed something suspicious in WordPress analytic stats (some unknown click through) on my personal blog site. It was just after MonsterInsight was introduced by buying the Yost plugin- I thought might be some security issues, and disabled/deleted both your plugin and MonsterInsight. The issue didn't came back so I forgot about it.

Now it looks like it was your plugin which was the culprit- I had installed the plugin probably 2 or more years back- I don't remember getting any notification about opt-in settings for allowing the showing credit or whatever.

Most likely, it was inserting the links regardless of the settings or something like that during last six months or more!

Joel James

Hi Omaar,

This tracking feature were introduced from version 2.2.4 (2nd June, 2016).

Omaar Osmaan

Thank you, Joel.

Brian Jackson

For anyone who actually knows Joel, he is a great guy and a hard working WordPress developer. Everyone making these negative comments, do you know Joel personally? He would never intentionally do this. He has made huge contributions to his Disqus Lazy Load plugin. This shows the bad side of the WordPress community. Don't be too quick to judge folks. You don't always know the story behind things. Everyone makes mistakes.

Joel James

Brian, Thank you so much for your support.

Donna Cavalier

Sorry for calling you a jerk. I made the assumption it was intentional - well, actually, it was intentional - just not on your part. The sneaky, conniving jerk comment still stands, but for the other person who made commits to your plugin.