Google Plans to Punish Popups, Balkhi and Van Kooten are Not Concerned

wordimpress.com | Aug. 24, 2016 | 5 min read

Following Google's announcement that interstitial popups will be punished in search results, I tweeted Syed Blakhi and Danny Van Kooten. Basically OptinMonster and Boxzilla users have options to avoid this new rule from Google.

Me thinks that WordImpress could make a much better use of a managewp.org share button then say reddit button :)

Matt Cromwell

??? A little confused. Can you clarify?

Matt Cromwell

Oh I got it... we need a "Share on ManageWP.org" button... you're right!

M Asif Rahman Ⓦ

Via Jetpack right? I have it in my blog.

Rafał Kędzior

Finally Google did it. I am really thankful!

Deleted Account

Yeah, these things are getting out of hand. Don't mind those "Exit Intent" sort of modals but when I'm trying to read a page and a modal is thrown right up over the content after 1/2 second, it's frustrating. Worse are those interstitials that act like YouTube ads holding you off while you stare at, "continue in 5 seconds...". I'd hate for the internet to become as full of interruptions as TV.

Matt Cromwell

Totally agree Steve.

Olaf Lederer

Sure this popups are annoying, but for many websites are they an important source for creating leads.
If you put your subscribe form down where no one will see it, you won't get any subscribers.

Matt Cromwell

I disagree. People who WANT to subscribe will see it as long as it's on the page somewhere because they're looking for it. You might not get the 1,000's of subscribers you want, but you'll cultivate a more loyal readership, open rates for your emails, etc.

Olaf Lederer

Hi Matt,

"but you'll cultivate a more loyal readership, open rates for your emails, etc."
Is this something you have tested?
You say there is a relationship between how to subscribe and the email open rate.
I'm sure most email marketing specialist will say it's more about relevance and great subjects.
BTW are we talking about the same kind of disturbing popups ;)
My best conversion rate are popups which show up on exit intent, which is annoying on mobile too (any popup on mobile is annoying.