Is ManageWP.org becoming too narrow in its focus?

Nov. 6, 2016

Here's a quick question. Is ManageWP becoming too narrow in its focus of what articles can be shared? It seems to me that if a post/share doesn't mention the word "WordPress" then it gets flagged for removal. Are people visiting WordPress not interested in version control (Bitbucket or Github pricing issues), how to manage a server (regardless of if it ONLY hosts WordPress), freelancing practices (outside of the direct interaction with WordPress). Each of these examples seem to get flagged and removed. I know more and more people seem to be coming to ManageWP for "news" (by my unscientific observation of submitters and commenters) and so I ask the question. Are we SO focused on WordPress that anything shared MUST be directly linked to WordPress? If that is what needs to happen, great. I'm just raising the question to garner feedback.

Some examples that comes to mind... Do we want to be able to share posts by Cory Miller on business leadership, or posts by Tom McFarlin on approaches to problem solving, or an excellent tutorial on dealing with PHP Arrays? Even though none of these examples directly talk about WordPress... I believe they can be valuable for the community.

(Note: I've also observed some individuals are diving deep into past articles to flag and report articles that were shared months ago.)

Update: turns out I was typing this at the same time Vladimir was posting his post.

We had a lot of discussion around this. Basically it comes down to that github or bitbucket related news are OK if you are a developer but would you like to see Photoshop/Sketch news submitted by designers for whom this is OK, or 'make money online' articles from bloggers who read that kind of stuff every day?

As mid ground we introduced the Pro category

managewp.org/articles/11055/introducing-the-new-pro-category

ps. deep diving and flagging past articles this morning was done by me as I was testing the new karma point allocation scheme managewp.org/articles/13776/managewp-org-submitting-new-sites-and-flagging-new-articles-now-earn-more-than-double-karma-points

Benjamin Bradley

:) I figured the deep diving was internal. Which is fine. I just thought of opening the discussion so that going forward those that want to submit articles know where "boundaries" are. And maybe to encourage those that flag articles to pause to think if the content shared is valuable to the greater WordPress community before flagging something that may not mention the word WordPress.

Puneet Sahalot

Hi Benjamin,

Thanks for bringing up this discussion and thanks to Vladimir for implementing the changes.
I have been a long time reader on ManageWP and started contributing actively over the past few months.
I noticed the same things as you and was thinking along the same lines.

Neil Murray

RE: "Are we SO focused on WordPress that anything shared MUST be directly linked to WordPress? If that is what needs to happen, great. I'm just raising the question to garner feedback. "

My two cents worth is that ManageWP.org is relatively tightly focused on WordPress and that is absolutely the right thing to do.

The byline "Discover All Things WordPress" is well defined and well executed by Vladimir and other community members IMO. It's the ability to discover what other members of this community thought was important enough to share about WordPress that keeps me coming here each day.

While I don't flag many posts myself, and I've had at least 1 post flagged & removed, my observation is that the community gets the flagging pretty right. As a result ManageWP.org offers time poor individuals like me a well curated list of items that is worth scanning over each day.

Of course you also have Voting as a good indication of community engagement. If you share an interesting article on running a WordPress business by Cory Miller and it gets quite a few votes then the community is saying nice article & thanks for sharing. By contrast articles that are of limited interest quickly fade from popular view. My experience is that non-WordPress related items generally get very limited Votes - which is the community very quietly but nonetheless very clearly letting the poster know they are not really interested.

Benjamin Bradley

Great comment.
There is also a good article about menu structure for sites that has nothing to do with "WordPress" that was shared today and I believe its a good article for anyone involved in web development to read. (I didn't share it.) I'm not going to flag it, but if ManageWP were to have such a narrow focus of only dealing with "WordPress" articles then we as a community SHOULD flag that article since it doesn't deal directly with WordPress. (I'm referencing this: managewp.org/articles/13779/menu-setup-to-improve-internal-link-structure-website-maintenance-tip) This type of article is why I brought up the points of discussion. I've also seen a number of shared articles that had a bunch of upvotes (pointing to having value from the community) but then disappeared from the site (assuming it was flagged and removed).

Neil Murray

Hi Benjamin - yes that's a good example of an article I might Flag if I was paying more attention. To me personally it has limited relevance to WordPress & I'm always very skeptical of this sort of SEO advice. I don't think I would Flag in this case because I'd be expecting lack of voting to keep the item off the Popular tab.

Good discussion by the way. I'm glad you started this and I'm keen hear other points of view.