How can we improve ManageWP.org?

Jan. 4, 2017

It's the time of the year to start drafting plans for all the cool stuff we want to build in 2017, and the ManageWP.org website deserves a lot of love. We've got a couple of ideas how to make it better, but we want to hear your thoughts.

How can the ManageWP.org website improve, so it could be more useful to you?

M Asif Rahman Ⓦ

I had few stuffs in mind, I will add those later, its kind of too late in my timezone.

1) How about start with adding a Pocket button on share?

2) Show little more texts (descriptions) on the front page.

3) Add option for uploading (linking custom image) in the submit post forms.

4) Maybe adjust the pointing system a little bit. Now person who almost never contribute could still be top vote strength holder, and stay on top without really submitting any good content, by just playing safe, and upvoting!

Omaar Osmaan

Just sharing my thoughts, when I submit links my first priority is to bookmark things that I've interests on and possibly helpful to the community.. Same priority goes when I press the vote button for stories submitted by others.

Hope that helps- :)

Thanks for your feedback!

1) I like the Pocket idea, but I'm not sure how well it would be used (more than G+, that's for sure :D).

3) Already on the list :)

Neil Murray

Pocket is loved by those like myself that use it each day. It appears to be gaining popularity. I use it mostly to save articles for later reading on my eReader. Archiving & Tagging is also useful.

A Pocket Save option would also be handy.

Omaar Osmaan

From mobile devices, the site doesn't work properly- may be fix and improve to make it fully working on mobile devices?

Can you tell me a bit more about the mobile problems? Because AFAIK it's working fine on a couple of devices I use it on.

Omaar Osmaan

Ah- last time I'd checked it been couple of months. Will check it out again and see how things are now. :)

Matt Cromwell

The major benefit of ManageWP over other platforms is the social aspect, and the points system. So it would be MOST exciting to see you take those to 11. Make being a contributor here much more exciting.

Here's my major suggestions:

1) Do something with the "Follow" feature. Gamify it somehow. -- sorry, don't have a concrete suggestion, but currently the "Follow" does basically nothing and it seems like it has a lot of potential.

2) Related to #1 emphasize the user profiles more prominently to make the point system more attractive. Specifically, if a person has a website that they own, and that site has a lot of shares here, highlight those directly on that users member profile somehow.

3) Bookmark and/or organize bookmarks so users can more easily find good articles from years past.

4) Like Asif said above, make the written text on links more prominent. These are often really important comments that provide context as to why the author is sharing the article in the first place but they get ignored VERY easily. Making them more prominent helps add the member voice to the link.

Overall, emphasize the members who curate this community far more this year and it'll be AWESOME.

On your #3, I think we need something like best last week, last month and YTD.

Matt Cromwell

I was thinking more along the lines of a personal library of links that I can organize somehow. I know that's pretty ambitious, but the large majority of really good WP articles I read I find here first, so this serving as the organization method would be incredible.

Neil Murray

I use Pocket for that. I've found the Archiving & Tagging in Pocket is really useful and I can access it via Web, Desktop App & eReader.

Matt Cromwell

I believe moderators still have to actively review the flagged post and take action before it's removed.

Correct, a flag just notifies the moderators. They make the final call.

Deleted Account

Hi, first ManageWP is great :) Here's my 2 ideas:

1) I'd like to be able to publish articles in several languages. Of course, i would mean that we can set filters on languages we want to see.

2) I am an avid user of mobile apps, notably for the offline mode and the notifications. We can imagine to have an hybrid apps or even a PWA.

I really dig the localization idea, and it's not that hard to implement. The biggest problem would be finding volunteers to moderate localized submissions and comments.

Deleted Account

True. Maybe there's also improvement there (?). How do we push volunteers forward? As soon as, volunteers have more visibility and feel part of a team, I think it would be easier to find people.

M Asif Rahman Ⓦ

Let me add few more -

5) How about we give little more priority to Karma point as well. Right now it's mostly about Vote Strength. As I explained in my no. 4, I do feel Vote Strength does not show properly who really contributed more or better. But Karma points really does.

6) I think I have suggested this before. We should make Statistics page load a little faster. Instead of live loading, we could use some sort of caching, Redis or something, and purge it maybe in each 15min or even 5min, but store the value in memory or even in disk, then it will load much faster.

7) Allow people to add their own image, besides using only from Twitter profile.

8) Add value for commenting, and add the ability to like a comment.

9) Where I write & Favorite Blogs in profile section is not clickable. There is no point of having links if its not hyper linked.

10) Not sure if you have plan to re-do UI for home page. We could try some new approach on front page. Like different tile formation, each content to include more text, and a wider design if the user screen size is bigger.

Last of all, it's exactly related to this post, but more of a question. As ManageWP.com is now part of GoDaddy, what we know so far ManageWP.org was not part of the deal. What we don't know how you guys plan on running this? When the same company owned both you could have leveraged your technical and others resource for this noy-for-profit venture, but now how will Vladimir sustain? Whats the plan? Is it a community project now? We don't know that for sure.

Zdravko Ćurić

Hi,

how about adding an option to display homepage as a list instead of a grid?

Ross Johnson