Hi I’m Kristina Romero, Coach at WP Elevation & RockStar Empires, Ask me anything!

Mar. 8, 2017

Hi all, I’m Kristina. Coach at WP Elevation and RockStar Empires, online business training I run with my business partner Troy Dean. If that wasn’t enough, I have my own WordPress web development company where we take care of over 40 websites on recurring website care plans and have custom built solutions for major celebrities and brands.

You’d think this would consume my days, but it’s only a fraction of my time. Amongst it all I raise my three children, all under the age of six, working from home here in Maryland and managing the flow of the impossible.

Back in the day I was an actress on a Daytime Soap Opera when two Emmy nominations and a few films later I left the industry to captain my own ship of entrepreneurship and never looked back.

I enjoy creative writing, the WordPress ecosystem, world history, travel and any book or movie that tells a good story.

I love helping others, especially those looking to work smarter, secure recurring revenue in their business and strike a successful work-life balance.

Ask me anything!

Bojana Milosevic

Hi, Kristina

Why did WordPress attract you more than acting? What does WordPress community have that your first "life call" doesn't?

Kristina Romero

Hi Bojana, thanks for the question!

I was attracted to the idea of building something myself. With acting, I had to rely on getting hired, the script, the director... As I transitioned into screenwriting, I realized I still had to rely others to produce a product or no one saw my work! When I starting learning web design and development, there was something freeing about being able to take an idea and mission, work on it, complete it and launch it to the world - by myself. This is the beauty of the WordPress platform, it's easy for one person to do that.

I say this, and yet, I love collaboration and now work with teams on a day to day basis ;) But the concept is still the same, I'm able to create finished product daily and I love it.

Thanks for being on our AMA, Christina!

1) I've always been wary of business/lifestyle courses, but I really like what WP Elevation is doing. Could you summarize WP Elevation for people who are on the fence?
2) What is the biggest mistake people make, when it comes to website maintenance?
3) How did you team up with that Aussie rascal, Troy Dean? :)

Kristina Romero

Hey Nemanja!

That Troy is a crazy rascal ain't he?! I'll get to that in a second :)

1) In it's simplest form WP Elevation is about giving all tools, resources and community to WordPress consultants, designers, developers, marketers, (you name it), so they can run a business that doesn't drive them crazy! Speaking from my experience, before WPE I was having trouble with pricing, business processes and frankly, just knew I was doing something wrong. WP Elevation changed my life, short and sweet.

2) The biggest mistake people make when it comes to website maintenance for their clients is not seeing it's a relationship. The biggest tech problem is not having a before/after checklist that looks for errors and changes after updates.

3) Now to that rascal - I got Troy's attention by taking action in WP Elevation and sharing what I learned, how I tweaked it and my successes with the community. Through the value I added, when it came time to expand, he reached out to me to join the team. We quickly developed a friendship and respect for one another. When he came up with the idea for RockStar Empires (a program on how to build an online empire through e-learning) he knew I wanted to shift into that space anyway and pinged me on Slack to see if I was interested in partnering. Took me one sec to agree :)

Jason Resnick

As a new father myself and I'll be the one home during the day, what's the trick (albeit I know there isn't any tricks at all) in order to be able to juggle working and taking care of a child?

My wife is still home and we ran a test day and I found it extremely difficult to be able to do any high energy and deep concentration type of tasks while watching the little one.

I know most everyone I talk with (friends & family) think I'm nuts for giving this a try and that it won't happen, but I know folks like yourself have done it.

Kristina Romero

Hey Jason!

Where to begin?! A few rules to live by:

You can't do high concentration tasks with a small child in the room. When you are with a small child, that's your job. Things you can do with small kids:
- Check and reply to email
- Social media promotion (following, reading, commenting)
- Listening to podcasts, webinars and videos

For high concentration tasks, you have to set aside time to devote to uninterrupted focus. I recommend a sitter that comes to the house if you work from home. It can be just three hours, but you can knock out a lot in three hours!

It's too much pressure to try and squeeze in uninterrupted time while babies nap, never plan on it.

I've found success doing two things:
- Scheduling a sitter to come watch the kids at home while I work on high concentration tasks (scheduling tasks for that time only, and phone calls for that matter). My schedule is three days a week M/W/F.
- Hiring team members who can share the load and address items I can't get to. Considering that hiring offshore staff is less than what I pay a sitter in the US, this is a more cost effective solution.

Hope that gets you started in the right direction!

Jason Resnick

Thanks Kristina -- in fact, I've already made the mistake of trying to do those tasks while he napped, which just didn't work at all.

I definitely will have to see how this goes...stay tuned...

Ann Taylor

Hi Kristina!

Considering the growing competition we now see in the WordPress space, can you say that WP Elevation clients are now seeking for solutions to some new kinds of problems you did not think about before? If so, can you name 3-5 top ones, please. And tell how you deal with them :)
Many thanks!

Kristina Romero

Hi Ann,

Growing an Email List - I think we are all seeing how important it is to grow a list of those we can reach with valuable information and sell services and digital products. I'm not sure this was as critical a few years ago. This is accomplished through lead capture on your business site and attracting visitors through organic content.

Educating Clients About Security - WordPress has become so popular... among hackers. Years ago we were spinning off sites without educating our clients on the importance of keeping the software updated. I'm sure many have seen clients coming back with hacked websites. Now, educating our clients on this is critical and has to be woven into our initial conversations and how they can have peace of mind with ongoing website care plans.

Establishing Ongoing Relationships - Many of us that built websites didn't realize the value in nurturing the relationship. If you've been in business more than 5 years and wake up having to hustle for new clients everyday then here's were you are going wrong. Each client needs to be an ongoing relationship, not just for repeat work (and ongoing recurring revenue with website care) but your source for referrals. In the early days, I think a lot of us saw websites as one-off projects and never wanted to see the client again. It the build was difficult it was because we never on-boarded them right and established it as a relationship from the beginning, from educating them, to establishing our boundaries, to meeting their needs to grow their site. The landscape has changed, and good clients never (or should never) go away.

Ayyaz Ahmad

There should be an option to set a custom link for each website to open it quickly eg a cpanel link for each website to open from within managewp.
I did not find an updated Android version of managewp.

Kristina Romero

Granted you did score points on the "anything" purpose of this thread ;) You should direct this over to the ManageWP support team, can't help on this one!

Nevena Tomovic

Hey Ayyaz,

Thanks for your concern.

If you want to talk more about some of the ManageWP features shoot me an email on nevena.tomovic@managewp.com.

Here lets's focus on Kristina, and use her time on AMA to ask questions about her experience and journey in WordPress.

Thanks,

Nevena

JazzFan Junkie

Would you rather fight 100 duck-sized horses or one horse-sized duck?

Kristina Romero

Horse-sized duck. I would win him over with love, no fight would ensue. My kids would name him Scooch, take turns riding him and he would be family.

Arttia Creative

Hello Kristina, Any deeper insight into how you run your business whilst having kids to look after. It's always been a really hard juggling act for me. I plan well ahead but there something school related crops up and throws out my calendar. It seems really difficult to grow a business around all the usual kid's stuff - school holidays, kids off school with general colds and feeling ill. I find lots of business networking events clash with school drop off and pick up. I'm in the UK so I guess things may be different here to the US. I really want to grow my business.
Your insight would be great.
Belinda

Bridget Edokwe

Hi Kristina...i am a blogger @ www.barristerng.com/
i found out that the technician that developed my blog used free to dev elop the blog. the theme name is a hueman. will this limit my capability to manage the blog.
Thanks
Bidget

Mustaasam Saleem

Hello Kristina,

I'm Mustaasam, the WordPress Community Manager at Cloudways - A Managed WordPress Cloud Hosting.

A few days back, I have compiled a list "What WordPress Influencers Want To See In Future Versions Of WordPress," here is the URL:
www.cloudways.com/blog/future-wordpress-expectations/

It would be great if you can also love to contribute to it. I will add you to the list ;)

Mirian brian

[…]I AM FROM TEXAS, USA, I HAVE BEEN IN A RELATIONSHIP WITH MY MAN FOR 2 YEARS, WE PLANNED TO GET MARRIED BUT EVERYTHING TURNED THE WRONG WAY WHEN HE FELL IN LOVE WITH ANOTHER LADY, HE LEFT FOR NO REASON, I DID EVERYTHING TO GET HIM BACK BUT NOTHING WORKED THEN I A FRIEND TOLD ME TO CONTACT DR_MACK@ YAHOO. COM AND I DID WITHOUT DOUBT AND TO MY SURPRISE MY MAN CAME BACK TO ME AND WANT US TO START ALL OVER AGAIN, I AM SO HAPPY MY MAN IS BACK FOREVER” […]