2017 WordPress Hosting Survey - Here's What Users Actually Think

codeinwp.com | Jul. 18, 2017 | 15 min read

The most comprehensive WordPress hosting survey up to date - 4,750 end users chip in

Sallie Goetsch (rhymes with 'sketch')

It astonishes me that 734 people can claim to be mostly satisfied with GoDaddy hosting--though that's actually a tiny percentage of GoDaddy's customers. I think the company has done some great things and is really contributing to the WordPress community, but my experience of their hosting has been universally awful since 2005. I had hopes for their Managed WordPress hosting when it first came out, but using the admin there makes me want to shoot myself. I have to wonder whether the people who are happy with it actually have anything else to compare it to.

Ionut Neagu

Hey Sallie!

There is a very different perception regarding those hosting companies between beginners and professionals, if you look at the results that we got in 2016 when we asked mostly advanced users to answer the survey, both EIG and GoDaddy got awful ratings.

I liked this analogy a lot : "GoDaddy is like McDonalds. They sell the most burgers, but they are no where near the best burger in town. Most people just want cheap."

Right on the spot. Historically GoDaddy served the SMB customer segment and it did this really well. With the acquisition of ManageWP and Sucuri the product teams turn more attention to Web Pros and this will reflect soon in the hosting product as well. Just a bit of patience.. ;)

Sallie Goetsch (rhymes with 'sketch')

I don't think my current clients can wait that long, but I'd be willing to come back and take another look if they manage to improve it significantly.

David McCan

I am not a GoDaddy customer, never have been, and would need to see a very good reason to become one. What amazes me is their failure to stem the tide. Over and over again I see people ("web pros") who are extremely upset with them. It just doesn't stop.

For example, if you are in the Facebook Beaver Builder group you'll see there was just someone who posted their frustrations:

"^*&^#%$#%^(!!!!
I HATE Go Daddy! That is all!!!!

So now everyone in this very large group tells about their bad experiences (very rarely a good one), or else reads a wall of hurt ... and so the hole gets deeper.

FWIW, McDonald's has price AND consistency going for it.

David McCan

Ha, for all that I realized that in using ManageWP.com I am a GoDaddy customer ... so I guess I need to say "hosting" customer.