Best local WordPress development environment?

Oct. 2, 2017

Need to do a WordPress site for a hobby and am wondering what do you use nowadays to develop WordPress locally? I remember tools like WAMP back in the day. Also do you still develop sites locally or latency is not an issue any more for most purposes?

Donna Cavalier

I have a dev server on the net. I use that, not local. Works fine.

David McCan

I've been using Laragon. Pretty easy to get setup and going:

www.webtng.com/best-wamp-server-for-local-wordpress-laragon-is-easy/

Sallie Goetsch (rhymes with 'sketch')

+1 for Laragon. Not as elegant as Local by Flywheel, but much faster, at least on Windows.

Phpbits Studio

Been using local.getflywheel.com/ and it's easier :)

Neil Murray

+ 1 for Local by Flywheel - I haven't had any speed issues on Windows. Being able to switch easily between different versions on PHP is big benefit for me when testing our plugins.

M Asif Rahman Ⓦ

A lot of us was used to in VV, but now I find Local By Flywheel is the best for Mac or Windows. Its interesting that you have asked this Vladimir, I have a planned blog post about this from last month!

Please do that. Is the number #1 reason people still use local dev. env. just speed and performance of development or is there something else now?

M Asif Rahman Ⓦ

I would say stability and community around it (means support). And Local is made solely for WP, and it does not crash like VVV if you restarted your System without turning off Vagrant properly. And the way it binds WP-CLI and others tools built-in I can't expect anything else for a free tool, if you ask me I would have paid $100 for this.

Did you try www.kalabox.io/ ?

Neil Murray

Main reason for me is ease of using Git based development. It's possible to also use Git repos on my current hosting but it's a lot more challenging to setup & use. On local dev using Git repos is dead easy. Also modern JavaScript development requires using JS build tools like npm, yarn, webpack etc. I don't actually know how I would tackle doing that on my current hosting. The only practical way for me to handle this at this stage is a local dev environment.

DesktopServer is my primary tool and I have a bunch of CLI's that I built to automate a lot of it.
Local is another good option a bit heavy but I use it too.

I use Chasis/VVV depending on the project. But def, not a single tool.

Office.com/setup

Avast Support
If you are facing any issue related to Avast Antivirus, Avast customer support team is available to help you anytime. You can call on the toll free number or write them an email about your problems. Avast support team will follow up on your request and your problem will be fixed as soon as possible. The toll-free number remains active 24*7 so that users can immediately troubleshoot the issue without risking the protection of their devices. Do not put your data on risk and call Avast support now!
contactassistance.com/avast-support

Office.com/setup

AVG Support
Alll in one tuning suite for your PC, Mac and Android. Improve your device performance by optimizing battery, network and storage. LIve chat and phone AVG support anytime.
In case your order details are not visible then contact AVG support team. One of their technicians will help you through the issue
contactassistance.com/avg-support

Office.com/setup

Kaspersky Support
Kaspersky is word leading Antivirus and Cybersecurity Multinational company situated in Moscow, Russia. Kaspersky Lab is committed to work with their customers and provide the best security possible. Kaspersky Support They are dedicated to saving you from the trojan virus, worms, adware, ransomware, spam, rootkits, phishing, malware and other malicious activities.
contactassistance.com/kaspersky-support

Office.com/setup

Outlook Support
Outlook is one of the services provided by Microsoft that deals in web-based suits of webmail, tasks and calendar service. Founded as Hotmail, Outlook Support is the first webmail service.
contactassistance.com/outlook-support

Office.com/setup

AOL Support
AOL Mail is a free web-based email service owned by an American Company that enable the user to use all the email features provided by them AOL Support. AOL Mail is also known as AIM which stands for AOL Instant Message.
contactassistance.com/aol-support

Michael Jones

Many students face the problem of stress in college. Our expert guides dependably work in a state of harmony with the necessities given to us But if you take assignment help, it can let you understand the things at your own speed.
Assignment Help

Christa Elrod

We use the tool like XAMPP for working locally or we also work on live website by blocking the search engines.

Blant Simonetti

I have read your article. it is very informative helpful for me.