User Voting Counts reset?

Jan. 12, 2018

Looks like voter counts were totally reset... which I guess that's fine, but I'd love to hear why and how and what else you all have in store for ManageWP.org this 2018.

p.s. I'd love it if my voter count was restored too since it was quite good previously, but it's your platform.

Donna Cavalier

Yeah, I noticed it immediately. I think it was a couple of weeks ago or so. Thought it was just a glitch and would get fixed, but it never did.

Tom Zsomborgi

twitter.com/karks88/status/943864619470376960

Matt Cromwell

Thanks Tom. I commented over there. Hoping this gets resolved. I mean... it's not a huge deal, but I've been sharing hear for IDK... four years maybe. We'll see.

Donna Cavalier

Yeah, and I'm way down towards the bottom of the list now. A little unsettling....

Here's a quick update, but I will follow up tomorrow morning with more info:

The karma system in its state up to a few weeks ago was broken, and it was assigning way more karma than it should have. We were refactoring ManageWP.org for the past month, and it's when we realized this.

The current karma calculation is much more precise, but the whole karma system is fundamentally broken. We learned that there are plenty of ways to be ranked quite high without contributing to the community in any meaningful way.

More on this tomorrow, and thank you for your patience with this.

Nemanja

Matt Cromwell

I appreciate your attention to it. There was also ways to rank high by contributing, like I did for the past years. It's fine to have a fresh start if you really think that will benefit the contributions here; but ideally previous years' karma can be restored even if more accurately.

Matt Cromwell

Just for more info, when I noticed the rank change, I was at 0.90, I hadn't shared anything or really done anything. Since then, I've shared an article which became "popular" and started this conversation, and I"m now at 0.87 ... so, so far the system seems to be discouraging contributions.

A long overdue response. The problem with ManageWP.org is threefold:
1) Karma was being calculated incorrectly. It resulted in karma ballooning for minimal contribution. Only when we caught the errors, we changed it to the originally intended algorithm. That, in turn, resulted in karma dropping dramatically. And given your latest reply, it's quite possible that there's another error lurking in there.
2) Karma calculation itself is in need of an overhaul. We're encouraging the wrong kind of behavior. This is a discussion that needs to include people from the community, so we could find the right solution.
3) The Popular script is hanging up from time to time, preventing the truly popular articles from showing up on the Popular page.

The 1) and 3) items are something that we need to solve internally, since ManageWP.org is a custom-coded CMS utilizing tech that did not exist on WordPress back in the day. But for 2) I'll get the conversation started, and gradually open it up to everyone in the community for discussion.

The goal is to have a stable and reliable news source in the next few months, and we are counting on everyone's help on getting it there :)

If anyone has any additional questions or issues, you can always find me at nemanja.aleksic@managewp.com

Eric Karkovack

The other frustrating thing is having new posts never show up on the front page. I've had stuff marked as "popular" but never gets beyond the "Latest" listing.

Donna Cavalier

I'm with you, Matt. I spent a fair amount of time devoted to this place. Certainly not just for the "reward" of high karma, but it is a bit of letdown to see it just all go away. Seems silly to say it out loud, but just being honest.

Donna Cavalier

Algo seems out of whack to me. Comparing two accounts....

pasteboard.co/H6rzB3a.png

Donna Cavalier

Scores going down again. Any news on this?