Should Ghost continue to be part of the WordPress conversation?

Dec. 16, 2013

I started to share an article on Ghost rolling out fully-hosted service (well, here it is anyway: thenextweb.com/media/2013/12/16/open-source-blogging-platform-ghost/ ) when the thought occurred to me that Ghost is not WordPress. Though it is WordPress related via its founders. At what point should it belong in the same category as Medium, Blogger, Tumblr, etc?

Matthew Snider

Personally, even though it's creators have had a past in WordPress, there is no need to include it with WordPress as it is not WordPress.

If there are side by side comparison articles etc that would be expected, but news on Ghost I don't think (my opinion) does not belong on Manage WP

Leif Quitevis

Yeah, this was the sort of rationale that made me stop and think for a second. Appreciate your input, Matthew.

Dave Warfel

I agree with Matthew. If there are WordPress plugins that create a more "Ghost-like" editing experience, that would be OK.

But if we defined Ghost as "WordPress-related," than that opens the door to almost all CMSs, and arguably other hosted services. There are plenty of other places on the web to read up about Ghost, and the many other "similar" platforms, but I don't think ManageWP.org is one of them.

Leif Quitevis

Heh. I just finished reading the PrettyPress plugin write-up on WPTavern that mentions Ghost. Thanks Dave.

Greg Winiarski

I think that Ghost could/should be a part of discussion if we are discussing blogging or blogging software, not so much when we discuss WP itself.

Leif Quitevis

So there has to be a distinct correlation to WordPress.

Tim Nash

Not really sure if this sort of conversation is needed one of the advantages of community voting, is such choices can be simply handed over to the herd.

A case in point, I would very likely have voted up the original posters article, simply as it does have a knock on effect for WordPress IMHO, both in terms of a potential competitor to WP.com but also it shows Ghost is slowly reaching the stage where it might be crawling this may have an impact on WordPress community.

That said a tutorial on making a page in Ghost is not going to get my vote.

Consequently unless people are concerned that (as is already I suspect happening) certain contributors will simply up vote friends blindly the community should be able to self moderate without us having to worry about what is on topic.

Leif Quitevis

Good point on upvoting. There's also flagging - which is what I want to avoid here in ManageWP.

James Mowery

My take — and this is merely a recommendation, and oriented towards the content and discussion on ManageWP.org — is that if the bit in particular can be related as meaningful and having a direct impact towards the WordPress community, it's worth considering for discussion/sharing.

If there was a news piece about a prominent Fortune 500 company ditching WordPress to go to product XYZ, that is worth discussion, because it directly impacts the WordPress economy. If there was some huge breaking news about Tumblr shutting down its service, I'd consider that discussion worthy (as those users are going to need somewhere to go, and hopefully to WordPress). If Ghost achieved the milestone of running more sites that WordPress, that's meaningful to our community. If Kevin Rose's Tiny Blog (tech.co/kevin-rose-new-idea-revolutionize-blogging-2013-12) photo background idea is something that WordPress should absolutely adopt because it's a game changer, it's worth discussion in the context of improving WordPress. If some new CMS with millions in funding comes along and claims it is going to end the dominance WordPress, well... that's just crazy... and of course I want to know about it to see if it has legs.

I'd make sure to frame the share/discussion around the impacts of WordPress and the community. If it's difficult to do that or it causes a double take or if the posting itself warrants a discussion, let common sense kick in. In the end, just keep in mind that this is a WordPress community. :)

Leif Quitevis

Well put. That seems to be the sentiment, and there are tools in place to keep the content in-line. Thanks for chiming in James.

Leif Quitevis

Thanks for your feedback all.

Karan Singh Chauhan

Well If there are WordPress plugins that create a more "Ghost-like" editing experience, that would be great as ever.