Dealing with all WP content

May. 5, 2014

I am in big dilemma. There is so much WP content published on the WEB every day. I think we capture around 50-60% of it on the site now.

A lot of stories like these have nothing wrong with them, but is their place on the site?

www.wpbeginner.com/plugins/how-to-add-subtitle-for-posts-and-pages-in-wordpress/
www.1stwebdesigner.com/wordpress/best-wordpress-framework-use/

Usually I would find only 3-4 stories on the entire home page that I would find interesting enough to read and vote on. On the other hand not everyone shares my taste and perhaps people enjoy theme reviews or "top xx" or "best of" types of posts.

What do you say about this? How to solve this problem so that the service is used to the full potential by its users?

Donna Cavalier

Like you, there is usually only a couple of posts shared here that really spark my interest each day, enough to go read (and then, I may find I'm not really as interested as I thought I would be). Nevertheless, unless people are only sharing their own content, we have to assume that the people sharing those posts find them interesting enough to share...so others probably do too. Of course, if everyone is only sharing their own posts, then we can no longer really assume they are interested in the content, but rather, they are interested in self-promotion. So...is the problem the fact that there is very little content being produced that is outstanding and different than the same-o, same-o, or is the problem that people are sharing only self-promotional posts, or is the problem that we are jaded and have seen all there is to see in the kinds of things that are typically shared? Other than the self-promo possibility, I'd say it's working the way it should, and we just have to sift through the stuff that is old-hat to us.

Hi Donna

I agree that self-promotion is one of the main ingredients of the problem. However it is very hard to say if someone is self-promoting at the time of submit (and in some cases even later). Also there are some authors that I wouldn't mind if they posted their content here as soon as they published it - I WANT to read it. So perhaps the real problem is not in self-promotion but the poor quality of some posts.

Tim Nash

Taking the top 3-13 users based on Karma and their last 10 submissions

34% of their submissions are submissions from their own sites

2 users submissions are 100% their own sites.

3 users submissions have 0% subs from their own sites

Of the others no one has more then 50% submissions

Interestingly of the 2 with 100% own submissions, their average up votes per submission, is far less then those with 0% own submission, though still averaging a couple of votes a time.

Personally I flag more submissions then I upvote them, which I think says something regarding the quality generally. Not sure how to fix it, the problem is if you go after the 100% self promoters, which admittedly my very quick straw poll would suggest would raise quality overall, risks losing some great content, because the only way someone will see it is if they self promote it.

Tim Nash

I should point out I chose top 3-13 because the first couple are slightly odd profiles, and 14 would include me and I would have to admit to self promoting the odd piece ;) but in my defence they nearly always get a positive reaction.

Creative Beacon

I agree Tim. The only way anyone would see some posts is if they self-promoted it. My posts (I haven't posted any here, just other sites) are written to help people on all levels of skill with the subject (Wordpress, Photoshop, CSS, etc.) Some people need help learning the ropes, and keeping fresh articles on these topics is necessary, as long as they are top quality. What if we divided articles into sections, such as beginner, intermediate, and advanced, so that advanced WP users could go straight to the new, interesting content they are looking for?

Donna Cavalier

"it is very hard to say if someone is self-promoting at the time of submit" ... What if users had to list their sites to sign up? It wouldn't work for everyone, because some would just list one but not another, etc., but it would probably help. Maybe some sort of perk for listing your site(s) in your profile would encourage them to do so, and then that could be used to determine which users are doing more self-promoting than not. And yes, I agree that self-promotion isn't always a bad thing, so it would need to be a percentage type of thing. Just thinking perhaps with a combination of karma, percentage of self-promotion, and whatever else the algo might include, it could work better.

Mickey Kay

To start, I love that this conversation is happening :) Way to go ManageWP community!

tl;dr - And here's my bottom line if you don't want to read the rest: I think you're doing things just right! I think ManageWP greatest strength is that it is so easy to quickly browse through tons of content, find what I want, and ignore what I don't. Give it time, give it time. . .

------------------------------------

The way I see it, there's a pretty fundamental question that underpins this conversation: just how curated does ManageWP want to be? If you imagine a blogging spectrum with hyper-curated, restricted content on one end, and completely permissive, any-body-can-post-anything content on the other, what is your vision for ManageWP?

Personally, I am inclined to adopt the more laissez-faire approach for a few reasons. My understanding of aggregator algorithms is pretty limited, so this is based more on general principles than logistics. With that said, I welcome any additional insights into how the technical specifics might factor into my thoughts below. The thoughts. . .

By implementing a voting system at all, it seems to me that an aggregator like ManageWP is essentially deciding to trust its users with what's best. I like this. I think any successful aggregator is only as good as it's users and their engagement. On the other hand implementing restrictions like limiting post number, attempting to inhibit self-promotion, etc. send a very different message: users don't quite know best. This is a bit of an oversimplification, but I do think it all boils down to trusting the power of large numbers of users to know best. Which brings us to the issue of value. . .

Even if users ARE just submitting their own posts, if those posts continue to do well, then it means they are of value to other users, right? Regardless of the poster's intent, if an article is highly read, upvoted, and commented upon, then in my book it's a good article. That's my take, but I fully imagine that others may have different criteria.

And I have to admit, I would gladly see the number of "Top 10" posts disappear from my ideal ManageWP homepage, but I know that's not true for everyone. If it were, these posts wouldn't be upvoted, across the board they'd yield less karma for submitters, and eventually the whole system corrects to have less "Top 10" posts. That's how it's supposed to work, right? If it's not working for some reason, then it seems to indicate that some modifications to ManageWP's ranking algorithm might be in order.

So how to solve this issue. Here are some thoughts:

- Decide for yourselves: do you want to cater to only a certain sector of content (high-level, technical, no "Top 10" lists), or do you want to keep things wide open? Proceed accordingly :)

- As Tim mentioned, creating a more stratified category/tag system might help. If you let users more semantically label their submissions, then other users can home in on exactly what they want to see. That said, this introduces a whole new issue of people just applying as many tags as possible to anything they submit. Limit it to 3 tags?

- Give users the power to customize their homepage view. I want to be able to filter out all those "Top 10" lists so I never see them on my homepage. I want to be able to sticky-post to the very top any submission that links to Tom McFarlin's site - because I want to read everything that man writes :)

And again, to reiterate, I really do think that ManageWP is doing an awesome job. I visit your site more than anywhere else, and as I said before this is in large part because it makes it so easy to scan a ton of stuff. Yeah there's a bunch of stuff I don't want to see, but heck, that's the internet for you. ManageWP's strength is that it makes it quick to sort the junk and the gold, based on my own preferences.

Would love to hear if any of you have thoughts in support of, or contrary, to what I'm putting out there. Feel lucky to be part of this group of talented, thoughtful people. Go internets!

"Give users the power to customize their homepage view. I want to be able to filter out all those "Top 10" lists so I never see them on my homepage. I want to be able to sticky-post to the very top any submission that links to Tom McFarlin's site - because I want to read everything that man writes :) "

Bingo! How about you can "Trust" a user on their profile (equivalent of Following) and everything trusted users share or upvote is always displayed first on the home page/latest?

Donna Cavalier

Filters and Trusts - I like it.

wpContent

I'm new to this site, but so far, I'm pretty happy with what's on the homepage.

Deleted Account

As part of the wpContent team, I'd like to reiterate what was said earlier - we're pretty new to ManageWP as a team, but love what we've seen so far.

Waseem Abbas Syed

Hey Sam, Welcome on ManageWP. You know what, I have to keep an eye on the industry and this website helps me a lot in finding the best from WordPress daily basis. As said above, ManageWP is covering around 50-60% of the WordPress stories, I believe the ratio has now increased. Love to see content from wpContent. :-)

Keyur Amin

I would definitely say YES because after all manageWP is a community dealing with Wordpress and when we say Wordpress, I do not think one should limit it to themes and plugins only but also the technical part of it. Well, that's me. Other may have different opinion too.