We just had a minor redesign of the home page, how do you like it?

Jun. 11, 2014

We just redesign the post boxes on the home page. Images now appear first and we also show article summary for all posts below the title. It is a subtle redesign but I hope it will improve the usability of the site.

Tim Nash

Not sure I like the sliding animation effect, think but if used I think I would rather see the length of time feature then the submitters face by default if I'm honest. In theory it shouldn't matter who submitted the piece so their face is irrelevant.

Andrés Villarreal

Well, in my experience in communities (both as user and admin), people just like to see their faces or avatars next to what they post. I think of it as a way of "owning" what is posted, by marking it with a face, that ends up in people feeling and being accepted as valuable members of a community. Let's say I see an article that you shared, and there's your photo next to it, and I think that you look like a nice guy (because people have all kinds of first impressions), then I check your profile, read your blog, like what you write, and then start following both your blog and the rest of the articles you share here. Or it can be the other way around: I start to associate a lot of the articles I like with your face, because we share common interests, and then everytime I see you sharing something, I automatically know before hand that it is quality content for me. So yeah, content IS king, but who shares that content, and how we identify that person is highly important in the frame of a community. I just really don't think that all could be possible or as much user friendly in a faceless/avatarless environment.

We are always trying to balance three, sometimes opposing, forces that allow this site to exist - publishers, people who submit content and users.

I think people submitting posts here are important part of the community, and I think by giving credit to them in every way possible we are strengthening the community.

Andrés, I think you made a great point there!

Adeel Athar

Good change.

Mickey Kay

I've only seen it on mobile, but it looks pretty clean! Only suggestion I have is having the submitter's name always show up on mobile, not on hover (which appears to be default right now) since this doesn't really work on some touch interfaces. I really like being able to see the submitter's name as there are some people for whom I know I'll read anything they submit.

Michael Beil

Agree with Mickey on this one.

And to bounce off of Tim's thoughts, what if an option was created for slight variations in the home page look based on user preferences? Settings option?

Just noticed that the new design of the story boxes resulted in 12% improvement on the bounce rate!

Eric Blackwell

Good change. Would agree with Mickey that I like seeing who submitted it on all interfaces, but since I am most often on a desktop, this is not an issue for me.

Jonathan Griffin

Yeh, looks much better - smarter and cleaner with more focus on the imagery. Also, it seems that the way the images are used is much better, as the previous version seems to be cropping the images much more than the new version. For those who are new, and don't remember what the old site looked like, you can see it here: web.archive.org/web/20140201102323/managewp.org/