We've been building something cool!

Nov. 27, 2014

We've been super busy building a tool that will help discover new plugins and new plugin authors, similar to how the site so far helped discover so many WordPress bloggers and sites.

You can see the tool at

managewp.org/plugins

It is still in alpha and can only be access through that URL.

The main goal of the tool is to bring attention to new and upcoming plugins that are very hard to discover using conventional methods (WP.org repo).

Best New plugins looks at plugins that have between 10,000 and 100,000 downloads. Score is derived from the recent trends in both downloads and plugin ratings.

Upcoming stars covers plugins with 1,000 to 10,000 downloads. These are really the plugins that are just getting started but already show promise.

The tool also has many unique features like plugin comparison (eg: managewp.org/plugins/info/ultimate-social-media-icons/social-media-icons )

I am super-excited about this tool. Please let us know your feedback!

WP Daily Themes

A great and very useful tool.

Donna Cavalier

Love it. Lots of attention to detail, allowing us to view in different ways. Thank you!

Fabrizio Giorgio Azzali

Hi excellent list.
I think that plugin that are not updatetd to the last version of WP. (now 4.0.1) must not to be on the list or, better, have an icon that show if the plugin is compatible or not with the last version. EX: the first plugin actually in the list at WP repository is signed to be compatible up to: 4.0.0

Would make sense to pull the Working/Not Working/Not Enough Data flag for the latest version. Maybe even remove the ones reporting as Not Working

David Lockie

Nice Vladimir :) You guys must be able to glean so much trend data.

Yes we have a lots of data that we can display in various ways. This is just the beginning.

Leif Quitevis

Being that this is a news site, there might be an opportunity here to include a short Q&A with each author under the 'detailed info' section.

This is an interesting concept.

Interesting idea. What kind of questions you'd like to see answered?

Leif Quitevis

Off the top of my head, I'd be interested to know more about the author(s) - be it individual, agency, or collaboration; why the plugin was developed and how it differs from other solutions available, how will support be handled, and if there's any plans for premium versions. I'm sure there may be some plugin specific questions as well.

Matt Cromwell

This has tons of potential and could really be a boon for plugin authors. Will you be sharing details about how your ratings are created? For example, I found google maps builder in the info section (managewp.org/plugins/info/google-maps-builder) and it has tags for "Most Downloaded" but I can't find it when I'm just browsing through the "Most Downloaded" section. I know this is still alpha and maybe that's just a bug of sorts, but curious as to how plugins are actually ranked and output into the categories.

Thanks! Really looking forward to seeing how this develops over time.

Thanks!
It seems that a few links may be pointing to wrong direction but this will be ironed out soon. The ranking algorithm is basically pretty simple, trends of downloads (download growth) and rating growth taken into account. We'd probably do a full article on that if this thing takes off. The algorithm has been based on this page/tool which I've maintained for years now www.prelovac.com/vladimir/wordpress-plugins-rising-stars/

Michael Musgrove

Here's another tool that helps you manage plugins as well: wpplugindirectory.org/ (I would have also submitted it on the site, but my karma score isn't up to snuff yet, apparently. :-) )

Nelio

I think two other aspects should be taken into account: 1- Is the plugin under active development? 2 - Is the plugin actively supported? I'm aware there are no boolean answers to these questions for any given plugin but I think somehow the algorithm should factor in these aspects as well (for a bigger picture on this see: neliosoftware.com/checklist-compare-wordpress-plugin/ )

This is actually a very good input. Will find ways to incorporate more algorithmic solution to this.

Andy Forsberg

So it's based on downloads and not actual usage? I've always thought that's the fundamental problem with WordPress.org. What's actually being used the most says a lot more than what's being downloaded the most. That's why I tried a usage-based approach with WPSNIFFER (wpsniffer.com/) but my sample size isn't large enough yet =)

This looks pretty awesome though. It made my day when I saw my Sexy Author Bio plugin in your twitter Upcoming Stars list. I'm really digging the interface when you click into a specific plugin, much cleaner / attractive than WordPress.org! The green color coding on those tags are a bit too similar though, it's somewhat difficult to differentiate them. I mean I can I just have to squint.

I agree with Jordi that plugin development activity and active support should definitely be included in the algorithm if they're not already.

Seriously awesome work though, keep it up! Very excited to see this come together!

Thanks! Would like to find out more about your approach. As far as I can see it gathers data from a Chrome extension?

Juan Manuel Garrido