Here's why Divi and other Page builders won't go away

chrislema.com | Mar. 4, 2015 | 5 min read

Why Chris Lema thinks pages builders are going to become more normal, not less.

Eric Karkovack

Please let Divi go away...

Ryan Love

lol!

Why you say that Eric?

Eric Karkovack

It's fine for some, but I find it inflexible for my needs.

Ryan Love

I see.

What's your thoughts on other page builders?

Eric Karkovack

They definitely have a place. It just depends on how you like to work, I guess. For me, I just think I get more flexibility building something from scratch. But for a client that doesn't necessarily want to touch code or a designer that is just working on a quick project, a page builder would be fine for that.

I recently worked with Divi for a client and they ended up wanting all sorts of customizations that the page builder didn't allow. And, since they were using the page builder, creating custom templates just wasn't going to work for them.

I think the biggest problem is that the non-designer will think that these tools make them just as good as a professional designer. Inevitably, there's going to be some feature or layout that the page builder doesn't allow for. For example, my client wanted an extra column in a layout (one more than Divi allowed) and that was a mess.

I should mention that I have tried Visual Composer as well and it wasn't bad. It's just not something I would feel comfortable working with in most situations.

Ryan Love

Interesting. Thanks for the reply. I guess I can understand a bit better some of the down sides people/developers have!

But you're right, they do have a place.

I feel like they're another tool in the tool box!

Eric Karkovack

Everybody has their own style, abilities and comfort level. A page builder definitely allows you to do some neat things. But like anything else there are limitations.

Tom Harrigan

since they're not going away, it'd be nice if there were a set of standards for the sort of markup generated by the page builders.