Great article. Kind of begs the question for centralized way to do it.
We’re sure that when you read the title of this post you’ll think it’s sensationalist. The good folks at WeFoster HQ are going for the BuzzFeed titles now?! All performance related tips and tricks must be covered by now.. And if it really was such a big issue there must be hundreds of articles on the web about this.. Nope.
Below is a breakdown of the symptoms, causes and cure for a serious WordPress condition we call:
Third Party Plugin Update Check Syndrome (TPPUCS™)
How do I know if my beloved WordPress Install is suffering from TPPUCS?!
Thanks for asking! To answer this question we brought in WeFoster CTO and WordPress Doctor, Bowe Frankema. He’s here to answer your burning questions about TPPUCS.
What is TPPUCS?
Third Party (Premium) Plugin Update Checks
The risk of a slow WP admin due to severe performance issues related to the (unnecessary) checking for updates of your (premium) third party plugins and themes.
Should I be worried, Dr. Bowe?
Let me explain who should be worried about this..
If you are running one or multiple Premium plugins or themes.
If you are occasionally dealing with SLOOOOOOOOOOW WordPress Admin page loads (Stage 1)
If you are
New initiative by the members of the BuddyPress community aimed at "building a community where we show folks how BuddyPress is being used to create a wide range of social networking solutions in the real world"
Why we are inviting you. Bringing together talented and experienced BuddyPress developers is the first step towards building a solid foundation for our community. Through your Developer profile we’re giving you the tools to provide value to our community of site owners with minimum effort required from your end.
As a developer you can..
– Create a public developer profile where you can list your work experience, availability and (budget) requirements.
– Link up your personal or agency RSS feed with BuddyPress related content. Site owners can subscribe to feeds they want to follow.
– Showcase your (Premium) Products in our curated repository of BuddyPress plugins and themes.
– Engage with our community of site owners through our Q&A section. Think Stack Overflow for community building with BuddyPress.
– Connect with fellow BuddyPress developers/freelancers/entrepreneurs via WeFoster.co & Slack.
What’s expected of me?
At the moment we are in early beta. Most of the functionality is in place and we are aiming for a launch in January. Until that time we only ask of you to fill in your developer profile so that you or your agency will be listed in our developer directory. That’s about it